Aboutfour minutes to read
Welcome to the official website for the Starbreaker series by Matthew Graybosch, owned and maintained by the author.
Artwork by Harvey Bunda
What is Starbreaker?
Starbreaker is a science fantasy saga that I started kicking around in college. It’s taken many forms over the years, but the following have always remained true:
- Starbreaker attempts to deal with big questions, like whether the end can ever justify the means.
- Starbreaker seeks a balance between tight, thrilling plots and rich, complex characterization.
- Starbreaker is inspired by heavy metal and progressive rock.
Starbreaker is currently published by Curiosity Quills Press. It consists of a main sequence, and a loosely defined prequel franchise called Before Starbreaker. Stories set after the main sequence are grouped as Starbreaker After Story.
What Starbreaker Isn’t
Despite charges that I threw everything but the kitchen sink into Starbreaker, the following isn’t true of this series:
- Starbreaker isn’t medieval fantasy, despite its retention of many high fantasy trappings.
- Starbreaker isn’t hard science fiction, though I’ve tried to think through the weirder elements with a reasonable amount of rigor.
- Starbreaker isn’t a romance novel, though it contains romantic subplots and Romantic characters.
Because I can. Because I choose to. Because nobody can stop me.
That’s the only set of reasons that’s remained constant throughout the decades I’ve spent working on Starbreaker. I wanted to write about idealistic villains, selfish heroes, complex women, and really big cats smart enough to play poker. I could write an entire manifesto, but who would want to read it?
I didn’t want to write about yet another medieval world, even through swordfights are awesome, and I didn’t want to write a dystopia. I wanted to write a possible future world, and show characters stepping up to force reform by working within the system, instead of just overthrowing it.
If any of this appeals to you, stick around. If not, thanks for taking a look anyway.
What Influenced Starbreaker?
This is a question no author should presume to definitively answer about their own work, because it’s entirely too tempting to only claim to write in a preferred author’s tradition. I’ve tried to draw upon some authors’ work, but I’ve also reacted against the work of other authors.
Besides, Starbreaker’s inspiration isn’t purely literary. It was also influenced by heavy metal bands like the Blue Öyster Cult, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Queensrÿche, Iced Earth, Therion, and Nightwish.
Furthermore, you can point to video games like Final Fantasy and Shin Megami Tensei as influences, RPGs like Shadowrun, comics like Batman and Watchmen, and manga and anime like Berserk, Neon Genesis Evangelion, The Slayers, Akira, and Vampire Hunter D.
At least, that’s what I’ve been told. Don’t take it too seriously. Starbreaker started out as an insane pastiche, and all I did was refine it until it resembled an original work.
If you’re an English major or grad student stuck for a thesis, feel free to take Starbreaker apart. Just send me a copy when you’re done, OK?
What Can I Find Here?
Need a quick tour of the site? No problem. Here’s a breakdown for you.
- The Home page shows my progress with my current projects right up top, and then displays the blog.
- The About page is where you are right now.
- The Stories page lists all books and stories comprising the Starbreaker saga, and is the definitive source.
- The Characters allows readers to meet the cast of Starbreaker. Some pages will be more detailed than others, and will include artists’ depictions.
- The Glossary will explain terms and concepts mentioned in Starbreaker, but aren’t necessarily mentioned in a dictionary. Many entries will include links for further reading.
- The Inspirations is the place to go if you want to get into the roots of Starbreaker. You never know what you might find.
- The Subscribe page allows visitors to sign up for the Starbreaker mailing list and discussion list. Rediscover an older form of networked community.
- The Colophon page is just technical information about how the Starbreaker website was designed and built.
Thanks for reading! Here’s a little treat.
Artwork by Sara McSorley